Monday, July 19, 2010

Cultural Crash

Living in the homestay family is the direct way to experience the different culture, different customs. Having been with my homestay family for more than two weeks, I find sharp differences between our lifestyle and theirs, which will be illustrated as follows.
First of all, we have different diet. The breakfast is almost the same, bread, milk or coffee. however, the lunch is really different. In China, we seldomly have sandwiches, which we have to eat here everyday. It's really awful. Sometimes I feel sick when I think of sandwiches. But my homestay hostess said one day that the sandwich is beautiful in Australia. Oh, I cannot stand it. I swear that I'll not touch sandwich any more when I'm back home. But I have to have it for lunch in Australia, otherwise I 'll buy something to eat. Sometimes I do buy something different to have for lunch.
In addition, Clothes washing. In China, we usually wash socks and underwears separately. But here, my hostess puts all the stuff in the washing machine. Cissy talked with the hostess about washing our underwears separately for several times, finally she agreed. But on last rainy
Sunday, our clothes were outdoors hanging on the line. We wanted to get them indoor, but the hostess declined our request. She said the rain water is very clean and could rinse the clothes again. But in China, this kind of things will never happen, only except that nobody at home collects the clothes indoors.
Moreover, we cannot help other boarders to do something without the hostess's permission. Last Sunday, two teenagers from China came to live with us. They are very polite and timid. They are very quiet and afraid of talking with the hostess. Last night, they told us that they were not accustomed to drinking cold milk from the fridge in such cold weather. So we told them that they could heat the milk in the micro oven. Then Cissy showed them where the micro oven was. At this time, the hostess asked Cissy who told them about the micro oven. She said this is her home and she is the mother. If they don't know something or want to do something, they can ask her. We should not do the things like this. Maybe she is right. I don't know.
The ways of doing things are quite different between us Chinese and Australians.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Different Ways of LIving

The First Day THis is the first time I step out of China. I imagined the beauty, flourishing scene in Australia. After arriveing here, I found something different from what I imagined. Although I know people usully live in suburbs, I don't know all of them live in big houses, which in China are called villas, in which the very rich people live. What impressed me most is that Australians have so strong environmental consciousness that they save water and electricity. They take the shower in four minutes, which makes it impossible for me to finish it within such short time, though I usually take short time to have a shower. My homestay family wash dishes every three or four days in dish washer. But I think dish washer may consume a lot of water, and keeping dirty dishes for several days is not a good idea. And they wash clothes once a week on Saturday. In winter it is Ok, because we don't change clothes every day, but in summer, there is just no way in Guangzhou,because it is so hot outside that you sweat a lot, so we wash almost every day. About diet, it is also quite different. In China, we usually have big lunch, but here they have a light lunch and big dinner. According to Chinese medicine, lunch is very important, we should have enough nutrition, including rice, vergetables, meat, soup and fruit. So a sandwich and an apple or an orange is not enough for us, then I usually go to the fast food restaurant or a the supermarket to get something more to eat. So we have quite different ways of living. As the Chinese proverb says, "A guest must do what his host does", we should adjust ourselves to the Australian way of living.

Labels: Different ways of living

Italian food made by my hostess

Italian food made by my hostess
Yammy dinner